Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fall Mantle


My favorite thing about my living room is my fireplace mantle: It's nearly 5 feet long with beautiful trim work. Truly the work of a great craftsman. And since I have such a great mantle, I love to decorate for the holidays with it!

So let's take a look:
The Garland was made by taking a 6 foot long grapevine garland (they sell them all twisted up next to the wreaths at Hob Lob). Using some hot glue, I added in a few leaves from a tattered wreath, some berry picks and ribbon. Lots and lots of ribbon. Once it looked good, I found some Mums on clips and just clipped it to the garland. The construction of the wreath was actually very easy. The hard part was hanging it on the mantle. Since no one in their right mind would nail into such a beautiful mantle, I had to figure something else out. And after much trial and error (think things going BANG/CRASH/BOOM in the night), the best thing I found were 3M Command Velcro Strips. Adhere one side to the mantle and hot glue the other to the middle of a 12" piece of ribbon. Then to hang it, all you have to do it literally tie it on. Sooooo much easier than anything else I've tried.

In order to hide my hubby's toy, I needed something tall. So I found some old glass bottles and added some of Martha's Halloween labels. The white candle pillars came from Target along with the grapevine pumpkin (dollar bin!).

The fabric pumpkins were made from fat quarters (great tutorial here). I made a dozen or so last year and they look awesome around the house. Totally something anyone could make!
And last but not least, our Countdown to Candy blocks. My kids favorite holiday tradition. These are awesomely easy to make (need a tutorial? look here) - and perfect for a craft group activity. I need to give a shout out here to my crafting buddies, because everyone needs someone to make them feel creative. Thanks Girls! You're always there when I'm feeling blah to inspire me to create something beautiful to get me out of my funk. Can I just say that they are AWESOME?!

So I hope that helps you get inspired to create something seasonal for fall. Or autumn. Whatever you may call it!

Hope you like my mantle as much as I do. What did you like best? Anything you hated? You can tell me... I can handle the truth... maybe.

~ Janice






Photobucket






10 comments:

  1. What a great fall mantle! I found you though Be Different, Act Normal. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome mantle! I love the countdown to candy blocks!

    I would love for you to stop by and link up your mantle project.
    http://www.thenotsofunctionalhousewife.com/2011/09/functional-friday-linky-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mantle!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking mantel!! I love your fall decor!! I saw your post on the Project Queen. i am now following you and I hope you will follow back! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mantle looks fantastic!
    Such a fun way to celebrate the coming of Fall!!
    Simply adore the polka-dot pumpkin :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel looks very pretty! I had a hard time hanging garland on my mantel too, so I gave up. 3M velcro strips will do it, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is just so pretty! I LOVE that countdown calendar - thanks for the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet fall mantle. Just love your count down to candy blocks...too cute!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did perfect justice to the beautiful mantle and I need to tell you that the 'Countdown to Candy' blocks have to be my favorite too :)

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your project has been featured on my blog!
    http://thenotsofunctionalhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you see, please leave a comment or become a follower. Just so you know, I do a little happy dance everytime I get a new comment or follower. Really. I should put it on youtube. So come on- give my kids a show!